Monday 29 January 2018

My First Smear Test


"We would like to invite you for your cervical screening"
This is not the kind of invite any girl wants to receive!

So, I received my letter from my doctors just before my 25th birthday in October. I won't lie, when I read the letter I did feel extremely scared, and didn't want to go, so I didn't.
I then received the same letter a month later, again, I didn't book.

Last week was SmearForSmear, where all women are advised to go to their screenings.
With a push from my mum and her best friend, I finally booked for mine.

I was very very nervous, and was asking a thousand questions about what to expect!
However, I had my screening done this morning, and after laying flat on my back with everything on show, thinking "yep, my dignity is no more" and having to jump up and down a few times to move muscles out the way, I was done in less than 5minutes!
Yes, it was uncomfortable, but it did not hurt at all!

5 minutes to have a test done that could potentially save your life? Its a no brainer!


Why are screenings so important?
Cervical cancer is not uncommon. In more recent years, the number of cases has fallen due to more cervical screenings, however, there are still around 3,000 new cases of cervical cancer diagnosed in the UK each year!
Most of these cases occur in women who have never had a screening or have left it very later to have their test done.
Regular screenings can prevent cervical cancer!


If you're reading this and have received your letter to go for your screening, and you haven't booked it, BOOK IT NOW!
It is so important!

If you're nervous, and want to know what it was like, please do not hesitate to ask me!


Speak soon,

Love Beckii
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be nice :)